Wednesday 20 July 2005

The Guru

The word 'Guru' means a religious leader or teacher in Hindu or Sikh religion.

I recalled the first time I heard this word is from my post-colonial course,

a phd student who specializes in post-colonial study gave us a brief talk

of her research about Hindu movies.

Tonight, I watched this movie premier on ITV (a British channel).

Staring Heather Graham and Jimi Mistry, this is a true charming comedy.

It was such a pity that I did not watch the film from the beginning as this film is certainly hilarious.



What urges me to write this piece is that in the end of this film there

is a line between Ramu and Lexi that touches me.

When Ramu, confessed his real identity to the general public on a live TV show,

and left with shame and relief. Lexi, a depressed socialite (stared Marisa Tomei),

who was as shock as the rest who believed and followed their Guru found it very hard to accept.

She argued that how could Ramu be a fake if he had done and shown so many influences

on her and changed her in a great deal. However, Ramu told her that



You are your Guru inside, it is you who change yourself. I am a fake and I am sorry to lie to you.

In response to this confession, Lexi answered ‘In your lies, I found my truth.’





This line truly becomes my epiphany of today.

The whole thing about telling lies is so tricky and almost unbearable.

I do ‘occasionally’ lie. I wont say all of the things I lied were ‘white lies,’

but at least, I wanted them to be as less harmful as they possibly can.

I know this still sounds more like an excuse, but well, how should I put this?

Maybe a liar’s consciousness?



However, the consequence of lying is not just the confrontation of honesty and selfishness

but the inevitability of hurt and distrust.

This is the reason why people condemn lies.

The fear of being hurt and betrayed by someone we believe and love.

The controversial debate of telling lies is the conflict between the following,



‘I love you so I lie.’ And ‘If you love me how can you love?’



Well, this is why I use ‘tricky’ to describe and conclude my opinion of lying in the first place. But, after watching this film, the dialogue between the protagonists awakes me. Perhaps, we ought to have more courage and belief in ourselves. Maybe acting and believing this world is full of honesty is naïve. What matters is that we realize that no one can tell you the truth because you are to one who choose what to believe and what not to.





Do I sound like very pessimistic?

Hope not! Actually I kind of feel the opposite, quite optimistic to be honest!

Ha~






1 comment:

  1. Gee~

    I think I can understand what you said,

    and I have to admit that I truly agree with you.

    ReplyDelete